1828: First Grammar of the Thai Language
A Grammar of the Thai or Siamese Language.
Calcutta printed at the Baptist Mission Press & E. Billon's Litho Press 1828
First edition, 4to, pp.vi, 20, [6 (Thai alphabet, lithographed)], 88, 6 lithographed leaves of Thai text, emendata slip. A very good copy bound in later half morocco, cloth. Wormhole to edge of title and half-title. Some spotting to extremities.
Captain James Low, 1791-1852, served with the Madras Native Infantry, and was appointed A.D.C. to Sir John Malcolm in 1817. In the following year he transferred to Penang. He studied both Malay and Thai languages and was awarded a special bonus for his proficiency in the latter in 1824. With his knowledge of Thai he was appointed to political missions to Ligor, Tavoy and the Tenasserim coast before being appointed in 1827 as the Civil Officer in charge of Province Wellesley.