Rare maps of Karachi & environs
Karachi brigade manoeuvres. 1905-1906.
[with] Karachi brigade manoeuvres. 1906-1907. Calcutta; Dehra Dun The first map zincographed by the Vandyke Process at the Survey of India Office; the second, heliozincographed at the Office of the Trigonometrical Branch, Survey of India, Dehra Dun November, 1905, and November, 1907
Two maps, printed on linen at a scale of 1 inch to 1 mile, and sewn together; the first on two sheets together measuring 99 x 89 cm; the second on a single sheet measuring 57 x 59 cm. No.441E C.C. Karachi Brigade (1905); No.D.11.Karachi Brigade. Reg.No.456-5.07 (1906). One hundred and fifty copies of each map printed. In excellent condition, bar one small marginal hole to the larger map, and a few small areas of discolouration to both. Folded.
These two maps together depict the area between the Kirthar Mountains and the Arabian Sea, with Karachi, a fraction of its size today, located in the south. The south eastern section of the map covers the area of marshland around the Malir River, now absorbed into the modern city. Footpaths and wells are depicted, as is the railhead of the Northwest Railway at Karachi Port and the navigation light at Manora. Clifton is shown as a small hamlet, and the tombs of Pir Lal Bhakkar and Pir Umar Shah appear in the mountains west of the city. The urban structures of Karachi are drawn but not identified, after the fashion of an Ordnance Survey map. Maps of this kind were made for the officers of the Karachi Brigade of the Indian Army, to aid them in orienteering on the march. Linen offered a more durable medium for use in the field, as neither damp nor crumpling would impede the map's legibility.