Click on image above to enlarge

Rare Sinhalese monthly magazine

[Fernando, W. Daniel] Satyartha Sangraha. Volume II, Parts 1, 4-6, 9-12, & III, Part 2. [with] The "Siri Sara." Volume III, Part 3. Panadura W. Daniel Fernando 1919-1920
4to (27 x 22.5 cm), pp.[iv], 121-164, [iv], 165-208, [iv], 209-252, 693-716, [ii], 341-380, [ii], 381-420, [ii], 421-460, [ii], 461-502, 1-36, [ii], 535-564, 4 photographic plates. Sinhalese text with some English translations. Bound in worn contemporary half calf by B.S. Karunaratne. Original printed red wrappers bound in. Some staining on endpapers, but contents in very good condition. Contemporary bookseller's stamps of B.S. Karunaratne, Kurunegala, on a few pages.
We locate a single set of this magazine at SOAS, catalogued as "completely irregular".

A substantial group of nine issues of this rare Sinhalese monthly magazine founded by the planter W. Daniel Fernando in 1919, with articles ranging from dream interpretation and horse racing to classical Sinhalese literature, many printed with English translation. Fernando established his monthly during a recession on the island. Prices for cash crops like rubber and coffee had collapsed in the aftermath of the first World War, damaging Ceylon's economy. Food imports remained restricted, and unemployment continued to rise. Almost every issue includes at least one article on the food crisis, praising or criticising policy decisions by the colonial government. There are numerous articles on local politics, including a scathing attack on the organisers of an annual elephant kraal, who had failed to remunerate the poverty-stricken farmers who they employed for several weeks in 1920. The four photographic plates are by W.E. Bastian & Co. of Colombo. They depict E.B. Denham, Director of Education; Sir Graeme Thomson, Colonial Secretary; Walter Dias Bandaranayake, acting Maha Mudaliyar; and the Honourable J. H. Meedeniya, Adigar. Our set of Satyartha Sangraha was bound by the bookseller B.S. Kanuaratne in Kurunegala together with a single part from another monthly magazine, The "Siri Sara", published in 1920.