Rare Calcutta printed history of Armenia
History of Armenia
from B.C. 2247 to the Year of Christ 1780, or 1229 of the Armenian Era, translated from the original Armenian by Johannes Avdall... to which is appended a continuation... to the present date Calcutta Printed at Bishop's College Press, by H. Townsend. 1827
First edition in English, two volumes, 8vo, pp. lxi, 414; xiv, 565 including 9 page list of subscribers (for 250 copies), folding engraved map by P. Savignac, two folding plates by E. de la Combe. Bound in modern half calf with marbled boards, blind-stamped decoration in compartments on spine with maroon and dark green lettering pieces. With p.97-98 (f.01) in volume 1 a cancel. A very good set. Darkening of top corner of title and following page. Map slightly mis-folded.
Brunet V, 685
The first English translation of the first critical history of Armenia. Michael Chamich, sometimes named Tchantchian, a native of Istanbul, migrated to Venice where he joined the Catholic Mukhitarian Society on San Lazaro. His history was first published in Armenian in 1784. This edition was translated from the abridgement of 1811. Armenians had traded to India from ancient times, and there was a large community settled in and around Calcutta by the mid eighteenth century. The Armenian College was founded in 1821. The movement for the restoration of an Armenian homeland began in India.